FACTORS INFLUENCING CHILD ABUSE AND NEGLECT AND RISK FACTORS
In order to develop effective
THE CHILD AS AN ‘INDIVIDUAL’
Children under 5 years old of age and Children with Special Needs (e.g. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), autism, Down syndrome, dyslexia, blindness, or cystic fibrosis impairment) are more vulnerable to be abused compared to normal children
A PARENT OR CAREGIVER CAN BE RISK FACTORS DUE TO:
Lack of knowledge and understanding of the child’s developmental needs, lack of adequate basic parental skills, from lack of setting boundaries and guardians to overly strict parental control. Thus, being overprotective.
Marital problems – including conflicts, separation and divorce
Parenting structure – single parenting can be difficult with complex issues that
Larger Family – Parent with
‘Workaholic’ parenting – Poor parental attachment, but workaholic parent tends to be good providers.
COMMUNITY AND ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS
largenumber of dependent children in the family that led to overcrowding situations.
- Parent with socioeconomic issues including- low education attainment, lack of employment or low income, poor housing or homelessness
RELIGIOUS AND CULTURAL BELIEFS
- The belief in evil spirits
- The belief that a child is possessed can damage the relationship between the child and their parent or caregiver.
- The child can be abused and neglected or abandoned
However, it must be emphasised that the mere sign of any of the factors listed does not
- Ensuring that parent or caregivers are equipped with strategies for parental resilience to implement and provide
sustainable, safe and nurturing environmentfor the child they care for, to prevent any form of abuse and neglect.
- Raise awareness of knowledge of parenting and the importance of healthy child development and safeguarding.
- Encourage good social support network
- The ability to access relevant support at the right time, including
heathservice, school, recreation centres and safe parks to play.
Help us fight for every child's basic need and education.